Your wedding day is about celebrating the love between you and the person you’re about to marry, but to ensure that your guests have a good time and everything goes smoothly requires some planning. There are just a few important details that you need to include that are easy ways you can get your wedding right. Here are 10 standout ideas that will turn your wedding day into an event to remember.
1. When you are planning the ceremony, remember to keep it short. Sitting for an hour-long ceremony is not anyone’s idea of a celebration. Remember that many of your guests have traveled to spend time with you, not watch you, so ensure the evening is interactive.
2. Plan your music to cater not to only your taste, but the total experience for your guests as well. Even if soft jazz music is your favorite, it won’t fill your dance floor. The best way to fill your dance floor is to have song requests. Have your DJ make an announcement that they’ll be taking requests and watch the dance floor fill up when a crowd-favorite comes on.
3. A personalized wedding program with interesting details about you and your groom, a breakdown of the ceremony’s proceedings, and any important information they should know (like a translation of traditional vows or that you’d prefer photos aren’t taken) will capture your guest’s attention and get all of those key details across politely.
4. Make sure to greet each guest personally. Once the celebration is underway do your best to spend time with each person — whether that means chatting over a cocktail, visiting their table at dinner, or letting loose on the dance floor.
5. Create a seating chart to ensuring your guests have a good time. Try to group people together with similar backgrounds and interests, so they’ll have something to talk about even if they’ve never met before.
6. Splurge on the open bar and have a signature cocktail. If the open bar simply isn’t in your budget, then a signature cocktail makes your reception feel personal. You and your groom should each pick a concoction, but try to select drinks that are palatable for people with different tastes.
7. Keep speeches short to ensure that your guests remain engaged. If you need help preparing a good speech, then search the internet for speech ideas. Speeches are a necessary component of any wedding, but it’s important to ensure they don’t drag on for too long and have your DJ or bandleader prepared to make tasteful cut-offs.
8. If you want to party to go late into the night, then a simple touch like late night snack will do the trick ad make sure you include that in the programs, so guests don’t leave and miss out. Have your caterer bring out hand-held options like sliders and fries, mini grilled cheese, or coffee and donuts about an hour before the reception ends to revive revelers.
9. Give wedding favors and make sure that the favors are something people will want. If you’re going to spend the money on favors, select something that your guests won’t leave on the table. Mini bottles of bubbly, a yummy snack like cookies or popcorn, or a treat they can enjoy once back at home like jam or syrup are all crowd-pleasers. A photo booth is also a great alternative for your guestbook or favor and it’s a lot of fun for the reception.
10. Plan a memorable exit. Don’t forget the ending to your wedding after all that hard work planning the entire extravaganza out. Go out on a high note. Do a fun and festive farewell, like a firework show, sparkler exit, or confetti send-off! Your guests will love it, and it will make for some amazing photos.